I am passionate about developing web apps and databases to help fight diseases.
- 04/2015 — present
- Sr Engineer, Bioinformatics, BioMarin, San Rafael, CA.
- What I'm currently into ...
- developing web apps and databases for rare disease research
- RDBMS: MySQL, PosgreSQL
- noSQL: Neo4j, CouchDB/PouchDB
- ui testing tools: Tape
- doc & workflow tools: Dox, Puppet, Gitlabs, Github
- other languages & tools: R, Elm, Spotfire, Gephi, Cytoscape
- open source, public NPM packages, and Github
- current repos:
- other repos I currently help with or keep a close eye on:
- relaxing on
- Mac, Linux and Windows
- other interests
- chasing my son
- because it's fun
- Ironman triathlons, ultra running, skiing and golfing
- but not at the same time
- 12/2000 — 04/2015
- Programmer Analyst IV, Novartis (formerly Chiron), NIBR IT, Emeryville, CA.
- Database Specialist, Chiron, Bioinformatics, Emeryville, CA.
- 5/1999 — 11/2000
- Programmer Analyst III, Cancer Center, UC San Francisco, CA.
- 10/1994 — 5/1999
- Programmer Analyst and Assistant Statistician, UC San Francisco, SF, CA.
- 4/1992 — 12/1993
- Statistician, Santa Barbara Breast Cancer Institute, SB, CA.
Other positions ...
- 4/1999 — 4/2001
- Oracle Basics Instructor: SQL and PL/SQL
- UC Berkeley (UCB) Extension
- Muster Learning Architects (MLA), Berkeley, CA.
- 7/1999 — 1/2002
- Volunteer Web Database Programmer, Cancerlinks LLC, Berkeley, CA.
- 6/1998 — 4/1999
- Volunteer Unix Intern/Oracle Teaching Assistant, MLA, Berkeley, CA.
- Things I used to do ...
- develop and Administer DBs
- SQL, PL/SQL, Oracle, MySQL, SQLServer, MSAccess
- develop apps
- PHP, ASP, VB/VBA
- analyze data
- SAS, Matlab
- play saxophone
- and lots of basketball too
- Bachelor of Science, Statistics, UC Santa Barbara (UCSB), 1992.
- Masouredis C., et al (1997).
- A spit tobacco cessation intervention for college athletes: 3-month results.
- Advances in Dental Research. 11(3):354-359.
- Sartorius, O.W. (1995).
- The biochemistry of breast cyst fluids and duct secretions.
- Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 35: 255-266.
- Walsh, M.W., et al. (1994).
- Prevalence, patterns and correlates of spit tobacco use in a college athlete population.
- School of Dentistry research paper.
- Sartorius, O.W. (1994).
- Age, body mass, and tumor aggressiveness in breast cancer.
- Santa Barbara Breast Cancer Institute research paper.
Perform local DBA duties: monitor space, usage, and performance, tune instance parameters,
check backups, version migrations, production and development data syncronizing.
Database development duties: schema design, database creation, query programming and tuning,
user security, strategize replication server scheme.
Web Development duties: Code web apps utilizing PHP, Apache and Ajax on Windows and Linux systems.
Developed relational databases for clinical cancer studies and genetics research utilizing Oracle and
MS Access. Designed web interfaces using ASP on IIS web servers. Designed and
implemented a data security model for shared information and collaboration. Coded PL/SQL module
for legacy data migration. Generated reports and ad hoc query functions for local and web-
based user tools. Performed Oracle DBA duties on production and development database servers.
Installed and configured Oracle software and database applications. Maintained user and group
accounts, user security, and database backups. Developed and modified web-generated forms and
reports with Designer/2000 and WebDB, created and maintained Designer/2000 repositories,
administered Oracle Application Servers and Report Servers, created and administered End User Layers
in Oracle Discoverer. Supported Windows NT/2000 systems.
Instructed 10-week courses on SQL and PL/SQL language and programming concepts, Oracle
database application design and development, Unix commands and utilities; developed and
managed course curriculum, held tutorial sessions, evaluated student work and assign grades.
Installed, configured, and maintained Apache webservers and MySQL databases running on
Linux platforms for the site http://www.cancerlinks.net and its sister sites; assisted
with site content. (This non-profit portal site provides links and site information on
cancer and related information.)
Assisted Unix and Oracle SQL classes: tutored on systems/programming concepts, troubleshot
computer lab problems, assisted with curriculum development, tested skills and conducted
Engineered relational databases for medical research studies. Programmed MS Access
database quality control routines, double-entry modules, status reports, and SAS dataset
exports. Administered databases and implemented user security. Provided desktop and
server support, and administered a Novell network for PC and Macintosh clients.
Installed desktop and server hardware, software applications, Windows operating systems,
and performed system troubleshooting. Created manuals and reports for DBMS review,
data analysis, and data entry training. Conducted hardware/software tutorials for technical
and administrative staff.
Performed statistical analysis and data management of breast cancer and breast